- Applicants must be at least 18-years-old and a U.S. Citizen.
- Applicants must be a high school graduate or hold a Kansas recognized G.E.D.
- Applicants must hold a valid Kansas Driver License and be eligible to obtain at least a valid Class B Driver License. Applicants must have a good driving record.
- Applicants must pass the written examination
- Applicants must be in good physical shape and pass the physical agility test.
- Applicants must be of good moral character, without any felony or major criminal convictions and demonstrate responsible conduct in their personal finances. All applicants must pass a full-scope background investigation.
- Applicants must successfully complete an oral interview.
- After receiving a conditional offer of employment, applicants must be examined by physician provided by the district and medically cleared for firefighting duties.
When the fire district determines that there are enough vacancies to conduct a recruit class, invitations to take part in the written and physical agility tests are sent to the individuals who have expressed interest in part-time firefighter positions. Those applicants who pass both the written and the physical agility test then are asked to complete a background packet. After the completion of a background investigation, remaining applicants are scheduled for an oral interview.
Applicants who pass all the required stages are then offered employment conditional upon being medically cleared for firefighting duties. The recruits then complete a basic orientation, will start their Firefighter I and Emergency Medical Technician courses and are permitted to respond to emergency calls and perform limited duties under the direction of experienced firefighters.