Applicants who pass all the required stages are then offered employment conditional upon being medically cleared for firefighting duties. The recruits then complete a basic orientation, will start their Firefighter I and Emergency Medical Technician courses and are permitted to respond to emergency calls and perform limited duties under the direction of experienced firefighters.
No experience or training is necessary to become a probationary part-time firefighter with the Shawnee Heights Fire District. All the training, equipment, and certifications part-time firefighters need to perform their jobs are provided by the District. Part-time firefighters are placed on probation and remain on probation until they have:
- Successfully completed at least one (1) year of service, and
- Obtained IFSAC Firefighter I and Hazardous Materials Operations certifications, and
- Obtained Kansas Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) certification, and
- Obtained at least a valid Class B Kansas Driver License, and
- They have completed a training task book furnished by the district which ensures that the firefighter can respond to emergencies and properly operate all the equipment used by the fire district.